Spicy Carob Protein Smoothie
One of the hardest things about AIP for me is the lack of chocolate… I miss it’s sweet, dark glory and breaking off a square in the afternoons to give me a little pick up.
The AIP workaround for a lack of chocolate is to use carob. Carob originates in the Mediterranean, and it’s got a host of health benefits. The taste is similar to chocolate, with more floral notes. Here are just some of the benefits of carob:
- It contains selenium- Selenium helps our DNA stay strong and helps us maintain a healthy thyroid function.
- Contains polyphenols- Polyphenols consist of antioxidants and flavanoids which can help our bodies ward off cancer.
- Good for digestion!- This one obviously caught my eye. The high tannin content in carob helps your digestive system stay healthy and in working order.
- It’s a calcium powerhouse- For those of us who are dairy free, getting the appropriate amount of calcium can be difficult. A cup of carob powder contains about 35% of the daily recommended value of calcium.
- It’s good for your skin (and hair!)- Carob contains Vitamin E, which helps to keep healthy, radiant skin and strong, shiny hair.
- It’s antiviral!- And antibacterial. Carob helps us fight infection and protects us from those baddies out there.
So how do you incorporate carob into your daily routine?
A great way to incorporate carob is in smoothies and baked goods. Using it anywhere you would use things like cacao powder in recipes will give you the same feel with a little bit of a different flavor. I highly recommend you try it out!