“I can’t believe that exists.”
I say this probably every single time we go to the zoo. I have grown up loving animals, studied Biology in college, and worked directly with animals for years. Even with close experience and love of all creatures, I find myself saying (out loud) “HOW IS THAT A REAL THING?!”
Off the top of my head, here are animals that I can’t believe are real, and my thoughts on them.
- Bats– Ok, wtf bat? How do you have wings coated in skin with the same bones I have in my fingers? I really don’t get bats. I love them and they’re so great for mosquito control, but holy-freaky!
- Porcupines, echidnas, hedgehogs– How do you have spines all over your body? You are walking around with weapons attached to your backs! I mean, good for you because who would want to fuck with a spiny ball of an animal, but seriously?
- *Sidenote. Yesterday, at Busch Gardens, I heard someone call the echidna an “enchilada.” True story.
- Emus and Ostriches– I am obsessed with all birds, including these beasts. But the fact that they are real still gets me every time. I could RIDE on this bird. In fact, there are a LOT of birds out there that I often think “How?!”
- Symatar Horned Oryx– Those horns alone are enough for me to question the truth of thier existance.
- Okapi– Part zebra, part horse, part conunundrum.
- Hornbills– A bird with a literal horn growing out of its face?
- Most snakes– You move without legs? And you have all those bones? And you can unhindge your jaw up to 1 1/2 times the size of your normal mouth?
- Deep sea fish– If you don’t question these guys, there’s something wrong with you. I mean, LOOK AT THIS THING!
As freaky amazing as all these animals are, I still find myself marveling that I get to live on the same planet as them. I feel such a deep connection with every animal, so much so, that I feel like they feel it back at me. It’s like they know how much I love them.
What animals make you go, “What the fuck?”